I. What is Telephone Interview?
A telephonic interview is a pre-scheduled interview which takes place between the recruiter and candidate over the telephone. Telephonic interviews are mainly designed to assess the strengths of the candidates and select quality candidates from the list. Generally recruiters expect a calm and confident level of answers from the candidates during the telephonic interview. Telephone interview questions are generally asked by human resource personnel, third-party recruiters or hiring managers.
It is the first step of the recruiting process. Telephone interviews are most preferred because of its convenience respective of geographical location. Telephonic interview questions will focus on your resume, work experience, academic history, particular role in industry and knowledge about the industry, your skills, qualifications and competencies. Telephone interview is a crucial part of interview procedure. It declares whether a person gets selected for the job or not. It acts as a method of screening of the candidates from the large number of applicants.
Advantages of the phone interview for organizations:
Having standardized questions
Faster interview process
II. What are the most commonly asked questions in a Telephone Interview?
There will be two types of interviews:
Automated and Non automated telephone interviews.
Automated interviews are designed with a series of interview questions.
Non automated interviews are performed with actual human. If you prepare for a standard interview model, it will play a great role in attending the interviews. Keep your resume in front of you and go through the information while taking the interview.
Possible telephone interview questions may include:
III. How to prepare for a Telephonic Interview?
Do prepare before your interview and follow the below tips for a successful telephone interview:
Practice: Ask any of your friends who had attended the telephonic interviews. Practice all the possible questions of an interview and rehearse them in front of a mirror.
Research: Research about the company and collect as much information from the available sources as you can like company website, competitor website, prospect employer, relevant trade press releases. And also be aware of the company structure, no of employees and its location, its products and services, its market value and competitors.
Plan: You can also plan your own questions to be asked before interview. Asking your own questions shows your interest in the company and job. Ask only relevant questions which can be answered instantly.
IV. What are the do's and don'ts of a Telephone Interview?
Below dos and don'ts of telephone interview can be useful in telephone interview:
1. Be organized: Keep a pen and paper with you at the time of interview to continue the conversation without any interruptions. Note down all the important points you disclosed with the interviewer. Be sure that you reveal the same data in the face to face interview.
2. Do not eat or smoke: It is better to avoid smoking and eating while telephonic interview is going on.
3. Background cacophony: Make sure that, you lock your door or you sit in a sound free environment. If you get the call unexpectedly, go to a silent place and/or lock your room and continue the conversation.
4. Mock Interview: Take a mock interview before the actual interview. Practice some common questions of interview and record your fluency in answering the questions and your voice modulation.
5. Be short and sweet while answering: Use short and simple sentences while attending telephonic interview. It helps both of you to exchange your mutual interests.
6. Be polite while answering the questions: Be confident and calm while answering the questions. Don't exhibit your frustration and anxiety while the telephonic conversation takes place. Talk in a professional way to avoid the misconception.
V. What are the tips for a successful Telephone Interview?
Read the information available on telephonic interview and follow them for a successful interview.
Below tips can be useful to follow:
All rights reserved © 2018 Wisdom IT Services India Pvt. Ltd