It is very interesting known fact that nearly 30% jobs are posted and advertised and remaining is unpublished. So these unpublished jobs are accessible to the public viewing. These job opportunities may occur from certain circumstances like extended leave of an employee, an overnight replacement, an unexpected layoff, merger and acquisitions, new facility, an internal requirement etc. These vacancies are filled by the hiring managers with whom they are already connected to and a candidates goodwill and relationships get him hired. So it is important to be part of the professionals of your network to get connected with them. To tap these unpublished jobs requires a targeted search, extensive networking, and a crystal clear value proposition.
Heres how to target unpublished jobs:
- List out the targeted companies: Create a list of targeted search companies based on the parameters of the size of the company, specific geographical location, type of industry sector, the turnover of the company, reputation/company culture, and so on.
- Do research: Research across the sources like online sources, industry associations, events, public seminars, business journals, etc. Look for the career related blogs journals which publish employment news, launch of new products/services etc.
- Follow a structured approach: If you have any dream company then research about it and explore such information like former employees, vendors, suppliers, competitors etc. With the increasing rise of social media, personal/corporate blogs and alumni networks become recognized sources of unadvertised opportunities. By maintaining the strong relationships at your company may help you get noticed for the unpublished positions.
- Build network: Build networks strategically and find the information of who is the leads of the departments and connect with them via social media networks. By building these relationships you will be eligible for upcoming openings in their team.
Heres how to approach unpublished jobs:
- Referrals: Word of mouth or referral is the best way to reach unpublished jobs.
- Research company websites: Search about the industry publications, companys annual reports, blogs and press releases for any kind of updates on their services or products.
- Online directories: Get connected with the online job portals like wisdomjobs.com to get valuable sources of your desired company.