"Education is the manifestation of perfection, already present in man"- Swami Vivekananda
As we know, the word education comes from the word 'educere' which means to bring about what is already in. The purpose of school education is to guide the children to discover themselves by identifying and nurturing their potential to a full extent. A teacher is a person who builds the future of a student by planting the seeds of knowledge. There is an old Chinese saying,
-Give a seed to a potter and you shall have a bonsai.
- A parent or teacher must act as gardeners and not as potters. It is important that education system should be based on application and intelligence instead of trying to test memory or knowledge. Our present education system lacks practicality and its relevance. A recent article on education denotes that present education is based on below three facts:
- Quality of Education: In terms of infrastructure, teachers, accreditation, etc.
- Affordability of Education: Ensuring poor and deserving students are not denied education.
- Ethics in Education: Avoiding over-commercialization of education system
The importance of education is to empower an individual to succeed in the future. Success may be calculated in terms of monetary and respect at work. It is the duty of the educationists to support the real facts of life by connecting classroom lectures with real-life experiences. The present education system should include personality development lessons, moral and ethical teaching. The education system should be beyond the religion, region and language. Our children would grow up to be sensible, sensitive and responsible global citizens. Today, India has become a favorite global education destination, sharing platforms with the USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Germany and France. It is not only attracting Indian students but also students from china, Canada, South Africa and other countries to pursue their higher education.
Indian education system in India can be divided into many phases. They are as below:
Pre-Primary: Pre primary education system involves children of 3-5 years of age studying in nursery, lower kindergarten and upper kindergarten. At this stage students are taught the concepts of school life, reading and writing some basic words.
Primary: Primary education system includes the age group of children of 6-11 years studying in first to fifth class.
Middle: Middle education system consists of children studying in classes from sixth to eighth.
Secondary: Secondary education system includes students studying in classes ninth and tenth.
Higher Secondary: Higher education system Includes students studying in eleventh and twelfth classes.
Undergraduate: Undergraduates are those students who completed their higher education in college.
Postgraduate: After completing graduation a student may opt for post graduation to further add to his qualifications.
Now a day, schools put kids under a lot of pressure. School children always carry a huge bag of books along with them. Whether it is class 1 or class 10 there is a huge burden of notebooks. Every parent expects to see their children in the first position. Children also compete in this competitive environment and try to score higher and higher. It should increase the spirit among the children, but it is creating side effects in a different way by imposing a lot of pressure on them. Childhood is the time to explore new things and nurture the things around them. Today's children became so busy that they forgot recreational things in life like playing, reading other journals and books. Even schools put a lot of pressure on students instead of encouraging them to participate in other activities. This results in not having exposure to outside world as they always spend their childhood in examinations, doing assignments, homework and preparing for examinations. In other countries students need not carry their school bags daily. They have to carry only homework books while remaining things can be kept at school. But the situation in India is different as we cannot find this locker system in many schools due to unavailability of resources. In recent times, it is observed that most of the schools are assigning summer assignments to their students to keep them busy in the vacation also. Due to unavoidable pressure most of the students are ending their lives or getting habituated to drugs and other bad habits. Introducing innovative learning methods which reduce the pressure on children is the need of hour. Children should go to school to enjoy their childhood and to learn new things in life. But they should not feel overburdened or pressurized. Some initiatives should be taken to encourage children and to make them a source of growth in India. All these helpful to eradicate unemployment in India and develop skill full students.
- Present education in India focuses more on scores rather than knowledge
- This system has 90% theoretical subjects
- The students are not allowed to experiment on their own
- In the end, students are coming out of schools and colleges with bookish knowledge alone as the method of learning doesn't connect to reality
- An increased pressure on students due to much competitive spirit among the private institutions
- Many schools are not concentrating on extracurricular activities like sports, games and others. It is creating a false impression in children that education is the only important part in life.
All rights reserved © 2018 Wisdom IT Services India Pvt. Ltd