The PF account or EPF account is part of the retirement benefit scheme for every salaried employee. The fund is maintained by the ‘Employees Provident Fund Organisation of India’ (EPFO). The fund is a savings scheme that enables the employees to save a certain percentage of their salary every month towards untoward incidents such as unemployment or as a retirement benefit.
The EPFO terms an account as inoperative when it has not received any contributions for a period of 36 months (3 years) or no withdrawal claims have been initiated within this time period. There is a humongous amount of around 27000 crores lying in inoperative EPF accounts till date. Till the recent past, tracking and activating an inoperative EPF account was a daunting task. However, the EPFO has now launched a portal helpdesk to ease out the process towards the same. Here are the details:
● Visit the EPF India portal (http://www.epfindia.com).
● Click on the ‘Inoperative a/c helpdesk link.
● This launches the EPFO helpdesk website.
● Click on the ‘First time User’ button.
● In the resulting screen, enter a brief description of the problem (herein this case about the reason for your account being turned inoperative).
● In the following screen provide all the details of your previous employment including the PF number.
● In the next screen enter all your personal information details.
● Once all the information is entered, click on ‘Generate PIN.
● Enter the PIN number as received in the registered mobile number.
● Your request would now be submitted and a reference number would be generated. Save the reference number for future use.
● To know the status of the claim, visit the EPF India portal or call the EPF helpline number.
All rights reserved © 2018 Wisdom IT Services India Pvt. Ltd